Sunday 29 July 2012

A Tale of Two Trousers

Last year I needed a pair of basic trousers for climbing and walking, they didn't need to be highly technical as they were mainly for climbing at the wall, instructing and doing gentle low level walks. I bought a pair of men's Regatta Geo Extol for £20 from Go Outdoors. Bargain
Earlier this year I decided I needed a pair of proper technical climbing trousers that would be ok on summer  mountain routes with a bit of wind resistance and quick drying. When I saw a pair of Haglofs Mid Q Trail pants reduced from £80 to £40 I quickly snapped them up.

Since I've had time to wear both of these I thought it would be interesting to compare them and see if you really do 'get what you pay for'. Firstly - sizing - I bought the mens Regatta trousers as wasn't exactly at my racing weight and outdoor manufacturers seem to think that anyone over a size 14 will be unable to stand up out of an armchair,although to be fair to Regatta they do go up to an 18. Then I lost weight so I was able to to squeeze into the largest size that Haglofs do in their womens Q range. I would say they are a 14 - 16 depending on your body shape.

The Regatta trousers are made of a stretchy material which is quite thick and stiff meaning they are warm enough for Spring or Autumn but perhaps too much for a hot summers day. They do have handy thigh vents which I like for uphill treks and find they give a bit more leg movement for climbing if they are opened. The cut is basic and quite boxy - the knees have articulated seams but there is no diamond gusset (stop sniggering at the back). There are two front pockets with one zipped pocket inside the right hand pocket and one zipped rear pocket. The waist has a zip and button which is good as I hate waist popper finding that they 'pop' at inconvenient moments. There are belt loops and two elasticated side bits. Despite this I found that they were too loose just around the waistband despite fitting snugly else where meaning that I have to wear a belt to keep them up. This is unusual because they fitted nice around they thigh and bum and the waist is normally the one area where the fit so too tight. Wearing them with a belt causes the elastic bits to dig and become irritating  after a couple of hours wear particularly under a climbing harness.  They are fine for climbing and walking, they dry quickly and you can move freely in them.  I think they are amazing value for £20 and would recommend them  to anyone wanting an all day trouser to wear most of the year in the hills.

The Haglofs are cut with a more casual styling and don't make you look like a rambler, something that may or not bother you. The material is cotton soft but doesn't have much 'give' in it. It is quick drying and nicely wind resistant though. The cut is flattering and slim fitting around the waist, bum and thighs with a low rise waist and a diamond gusset. I know many women hate high waist trousers - they are unflattering and unfashionable - but they are comfortable and help keep all your layers tucked in and in order when you are climbing with a harness on. Anyway, the Haglofs look cool. The knees are shaped and there are elasticated drawcords on the bottom of the legs  All the seams are double stitched unlike the Regattas and there are small hexagonal rivets  on a few of the seams, I'm not convinced they have a practical purpose other than  emphasising the 'jeans' styling.  The fit is very weight critical for me unfortunately, if my weight rises by a couple of pounds they get very tight around the bum and waist and the zip fly works it way down. I also have to wear a belt with these (I do with most trousers to be fair) but mainly to stop them folding over at the top. Luckily the jeans style metal button seems to be very sturdy.  I don't have particularly big hips or thighs but  due to the slim cut and non-stretch fabric they are very restrictive for climbing. I'm not sure how someone who was slimmer than me but with a more curvaceous figure would get one with these.


So - yes the quality of the Haglofs shows through but they are much more expensive than the Regatta ones so you would expect it. More thought has been given to the cut, manufacturing and style. But they aren't that great for climbing in due to the stylish cut so are they any better then the Regatta one? I'm hoping to lose more weight then perhaps they will allow more movement. To answer the original question, yes, you do get what you pay for but may sure you're paying for what you need otherwise you are wasting your money.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment